Tuesday, September 01, 2015

Glued To Your Mobile Phone – Can You Be A 'Nomophobe'?

By SWARNAM JOHN | INNLIVE

Mobile phones are a great boon for the modern generation. But an interesting phobia, which is quite new has started making rounds. This phobia is called Nomophobia which is the fear of being without your mobile phone. It can be said as the “paradox of technology”.

I had a friend who always carried her cell phone along with the charger. I used to think it was crazy, but now I know it is a symptom of nomophobia. The topic is becoming really inquisitive is it not?

Nomophobia
In 2012 Researchers began to predict that cell phones have become the biggest non-drug addiction of the 21st century. A survey by SecurEnvoy found that young people and adolescents have become victims of this new phobia. According to the survey, 77% of the teens were affected, followed by the 25-34 age group and people over 55 years old.

Amy Packham writes in the Huffington Post about the four major characteristics or dimensions of nomophobia they are as follows:

1. People feel that they cannot communicate
2. A feeling of lost connectedness with their online identities.
3. People say they cannot access information
4. A feeling of inconvenience.

Do not get me wrong, if one is so used to their cell phones and loses it, it is natural as a human beings to feel anxious or stressed. The feelings described above may fall into that category. But there are symptoms which definitely prove that a person suffers from nomophobia.

Researchers say that using a mobile phone for temporary relief from negative emotions could worsen psychological conditions and spiral into unregulated and problematic use of mobile phones. 

Researchers say that cell phone separation can lead to serious psychological and physiological effects. It can also lead to poor performance of cognitive tasks. Now, that sounds horrifying.

Symptoms
Scientists wonder whether psychological factors may be involved in the overuse of cellphones. These may be low self-esteem, social anxiety disorder, social anxiety and panic disorder. The other day I went to the hospital and in the waiting area, I was looking to have a friendly chat with someone, but all the people were busily involved with their cell phones. Oh! How times have changed.

People can become so glued to their mobile phones that it can drastically reduce their face to face time with other human beings. This can be called as the over- connection syndrome. Some people will always carry a charger with them, for the fear of not being without their cell phones.

Some people will keep their mobile within reach and never turn it off, even in sleep they check for messages or notifications. 

Extreme reactions due to anxiety and stress may be caused if the person cannot use their mobile phones, such as in airports, academic institutions and hospitals. The fear or nomophobia dominates them to the point that they lose their peace of mind and security.

The outward symptoms may include anxiety, trembling, perspiration and tachycardia (heart rate that exceeds the normal rate). The emotional symptoms may include depression, fear, panic and low self-esteem.

Are you a Nomophobe

  • Iowa State University researchers have developed a questionnaire, to find out whether you are a nomophobe. Source credit - (Science Daily)
  • I would feel uncomfortable without constant access to information through my smartphone.
  • I would be annoyed if I could not look information up on my smartphone when I wanted to do so.
  • Being unable to get the news (e.g., happenings, weather, etc.) on my smartphone would make me nervous.
  • I would be annoyed if I could not use my smartphone and/or its capabilities when I wanted to do so.
  • Running out of battery in my smartphone would scare me.
  • If I were to run out of credits or hit my monthly data limit, I would panic.
  • If I did not have a data signal or could not connect to Wi-Fi, then I would constantly check to see if I had a signal or could find a Wi-Fi network.
  • If I could not use my smartphone, I would be afraid of getting stranded somewhere.
  • If I could not check my smartphone for a while, I would feel a desire to check it.


If I did not have my smartphone with me:

  • I would feel anxious because I could not instantly communicate with my family and/or friends.
  • I would be worried because my family and/or friends could not reach me.
  • I would feel nervous because I would not be able to receive text messages and calls.
  • I would be anxious because I could not keep in touch with my family and/or friends.
  • I would be nervous because I could not know if someone had tried to get a hold of me.
  • I would feel anxious because my constant connection to my family and friends would be broken.
  • I would be nervous because I would be disconnected from my online identity.
  • I would be uncomfortable because I could not stay up-to-date with social media and online networks.
  • I would feel awkward because I could not check my notifications for updates from my connections and online networks.
  • I would feel anxious because I could not check my email messages.
  • I would feel weird because I would not know what to do.

The study participants responded from a scale of I-7, from varying degrees,1- strongly agree to 7- strongly disagree.

How to deal with nomophobia
Mario Lehenbaur a clinical psychologist writes that nomophobia is a highly exaggerated media hype about an artificially created disorder. I am not taking sides, but I am here to inform you about this phobia and how to deal with it.

Therapists say that people with nomophobia can try self-help methods. Getting informed is the first pathway to freedom.  You should keep negative thoughts at bay because the negative train of thoughts can invoke the phobia. You can also practice relaxation techniques such as deep breathing, yoga and muscle relaxation.

Bottom line: Nomophobia is simply an extension of the human need for connection, but it is important to be at peace with disconnection as well.

No comments: