Saturday, December 13, 2008

Hot property - Asin Sharma

By M H Ahssan

Southern import Asin comes clean on controversial reports about her equation with Ghajini hero Aamir Khan. An informal chat with HNN recently in Hyderabad.

What kind of response have you been getting after the promos of Ghajini?
The responses have been very good. People are now waiting for the film to release. A debut opposite Aamir Khan is an absolute dream-come-true. Though I have done many films down South, this is like a baby step for me. Not only the film is my first venture with a superstar, it is being directed by Murugadoss and has music is by A R Rahman. It is a dream team.

How comfortable are you with Hindi?
Quite comfortable. Though I have been born and brought up in Kerala, I have gone to a Naval Indian school where I have been exposed to Hindi. Many of my teachers were North Indians, so since childhood I have been speaking the language. Ghajini was shot in sync sound, and thankfully my Hindi was good, I had no problems.

A heroine of an Aamir starrer isn’t left with much to do in the film. What is your take on that?
But as Aamir’s heroine I am sure I will get fabulous exposure both nationally and internationally.

There were reports that before filming a romantic scene, Aamir went on long walks with you.
(Cuts in) I don’t know from where such reports originate. I was comfortable doing all types of scenes with him.

Weren’t you upset with your hero for not letting you speak to the press?
That’s absolutely untrue. I was completely shocked when I read this report.

Didn’t you want to clarify your stance then?
As I said, initially I was surprised. After that I laughed it off.

So, how was it working with the perfectionist Aamir?
Oh, he’s a very supportive and encouraging co-star. The media refers to him as a perfectionist in the negative sense, but I find him absolutely dedicated, passionate and focussed on his work. At the same time, he is extremely down-to-earth without any airs about him. He lets the director be the captain of the ship.

Having been part of the Tamil version of Ghajini, what difference do you find between the two heroes?
Both of them have brought their own techniques to the role. Surya has portrayed it in a different way. However, I think we should wait for the film to release before discussing this further.

Did you feel a sense of deja vu while performing as you had been there, done that?
Character-wise, there isn’t anything different between the two. In both the versions, my name is Kalpana, a girl from a lower-middle class family. She is a struggler in an ad firm, one of the model types who to wants to make it big in the ad industry. Though the character is the same, shooting for the film was a new experience because we have made a few changes in the climax, tweaked it a bit and added new action scenes. Also, except for the director, the entire technical crew was new for me.

Kalpana doesn’t seem glamourous...
No, she is not at all glamourous. A girl-next-door type, she is completely a non-Bollywood kind of a heroine. But the role is so good that I didn’t think twice about doing it.

You star in London Dreams opposite Salman Khan.What would you say is the difference between the two Khans?
On the contrary, I find a lot of similarities between the two. Both of them are cool to work with, only Salman is more spontaneous. Even Ajay Devgan is a pucca professional. He is quite a prankster and the three of us had a great time. In fact, it was one of my best outdoor shoots.

We heard you had signed a film with Akshay Kumar?
No. Right now, I have only London Dreams.

Are you doing any South films or are you looking at establishing yourself in Bollywood first?
I would like to do films that excite me. Language is not a barrier. Right now, I haven’t signed any films in the South, though. My immediate commitment is to London Dreams, for which we will be shooting in Mumbai. A major portion of the film has already been shot and only a few scenes and songs are remaining.

You are endorsing many brands from Colgate to Tanishq?
Yes, so far I have endorsed around 60 brands. I started my career with ads. And films were a natural progression. Besides the Colgate commercial, which I have shot with Saif Ali Khan, I had done the Miranda ad with Zayed Khan. Soon, I will be shooting for a Tata Sky ad too.

With Aamir Khan?
(Laughs) I don’t know.

No comments: