Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Trending Lifestyle: Revealing Sleep Secrets Of The Active CEOs

By NEWSCOP | INNLIVE

The benefits of getting sufficient sleep are many. But how do those who barely get by with forty winks manage? We ask top executives to share their sleep secrets .

Studies regularly warn us of the disastrous effects of not getting sufficient hours of sleep. While the recommended eight hours seems increasingly difficult to catch, most of us are happy if our wearable informs us that the few hours of shut eye we did catch comprised sound sleep. 

This brings us to wonder how top execs with watertight schedules, travel commitments, and a diary stacked with appointments manage to get by. With many managing as little as 3-5 hours of sleep time, it's puzzling to imagine how they manage to be attentive at the boardroom meeting at the end of the week. We spoke to a few head honchos to find out how they optimised their sleep cycles to achieve more from their working day. MD of the Indian arm of Swiss major Endress+Hauser, Sajiv Nath stresses on the need to adopt a healthy sleep pattern and a lifestyle for maximum productivity.

How many hours a day do you work?
On an average, I work around 10-12 hours a day. Being with an MNC, working hours differ each day, also as we work with people across different time zones. There are times when I need to respond to emails after reaching home, but this is manageable. My family supports me in whatever best way they can.

Does your job require you to travel a lot?
Yes, I travel for around 10-15 days a month, considering the nature of our business.Managing good eating habits and daily exercises have become a routine, no matter where I am.It's fun to indulge in a swimming session after a hectic work day.

On an average, for how long do you sleep?
I make sure I sleep daily for at least 5-7 hours. It's a conscious effort to sleep well so that productivity goes up for the next day. We are a measurement company and it's important to have a balanced life.

Was this always your average sleep pattern?
I used to sleep more than longer than I presently do, but I make a conscious effort to catch up on sleep. For example, I try to make the most of my flying time by making up for lost sleep during long flights.

How do you manage to maintain your health with such a hectic schedule?
My mantra to health is simple: "Eat healthy, Live Fit". I try to make it a point to exercise regularly, walk, swim and jog for at least five days a week. Yoga, too, goes a long way in keeping one fit, along with maintaining healthy eating habits.

What is the key to optimise sleep so as to achieve maximum productivity?
In order to achieve maximum productivity, it's always best to sleep well. Losing sleep is equal to losing alertness, so one should learn to disconnect as far as possible and also make a deliberate attempt to let the office stress remain in office. It's not always easy to do this but I've mastered this with years of practice. Being in the hospitality business can be singularly stressful but Singh, who looks after Hard Rock Cafe and Shiro, Jay Singh ensures that he balances the party spirit with disciplined work and a regimented health routine.

How many hours a day do you work?
In general, I work for 10-12 hours a day, as I give a lot of attention to detail to my business. I do not compromise when it comes to work.

Does your job require you to travel a lot?
I usually travel a lot for business meets and conferences, so I man age to balance my week between travelling and work.

On an average, for how long do you sleep?
Seven hours without fail. I also believe that adequate sleep is the key to shaping a healthy lifestyle, and can benefit your heart and mind.

Was this always your average sleep pattern?
Yes, I have been following this pattern for years now and it's a routine.
How do you manage to maintain your health with such a hectic schedule?
I regularly exercise around four times a week and I follow a balanced diet to cater to the health issues of the present time. However, I do enjoy an outdoor meal occasionally.

What is the key to optimise sleep so as to achieve maximum productivity?
TV and reading both help me destress and unwind. It does help if one can get a good sound sleep for seven hours. I find it extremely relaxing. A dedicated exercise regimen also works wonders for me. The founder and director of a 10-year old technology company in Navi Mumbai with operations across five countries, Naveen Joshi maintains a disciplined schedule to make the most of his day.

How many hours a day do you work?
I work anywhere between 12 to 14 hours a day.

Does your job require you to travel a lot?
Yes, I do. My company is located across five countries, so some times I have to travel to those offices. Then there are international clients to be met, and global events to be attended.

On an average, for how long do you sleep?
I'd say around six hours; some times it goes up to eight.

Was this always your average sleep pattern?
No, I used to sleep up to nine hours previously. But with increased responsibilities, sleep hours tend to go down.

How do you manage to your maintain health with such a hectic schedule?
I used to sleep at odd hours, but now I try to sleep by 11 pm.

However, when it comes to discipline, it's not just sleep I care about -it has to translate to every aspect of your life, be it breakfast, personal time, family outings, etc. Creating a schedule and sticking to it helps maintain a good work and health balance.

What is the key to optimise sleep and maximise productivity?
Earlier, I used to focus on getting up by 6 am or another fixed time, but then I realized that fixing a wake-up time was a bad call because it might deprive me of proper sleep if I get to sleep late.

So I decided to fix a "bed time" instead so that even if I get up late, which is very rare, I shall be able to get more sleep and, hence, rest. I also keep observing my friends and peers and learning from their work-health life balancing act.

No comments: