Monday, January 26, 2015

Sheer Denial: Screenwriter 'Salim Khan' Declines 'Padma Shri' Award As He Claims 'It Doesn't Suit To His Status'

Screenwriter Salim Khan father of Superstar Salman Khan, who had been named for the Padma Shri this year, has declined the honour, reports a website. Khan said that the award matched neither his status nor the kind of work he has done over the years.

He said, "For years, the central government has ignored me, honouring a number of my peers as well as juniors in the industry. Some three days ago, when I heard that my name is on the Padma awards list, I thought that I'm finally getting what I deserve. But when I came to know that the ministry has chosen me for Padma Shri, I felt it does not match my status and work."

"I am thankful that the present government thought about me, while the previous ones had ignored me. But tell me if someone of my stature should accept Padma Shri that has come so late?" the veteran writer added.

Apart from Salim Khan, Sri Sri Ravi Shankar and yoga guru Ramdev too have declined the Padma awards this year. Khan has to his credit films like Sholay, Zanjeer, Deewar and the likes. Along with Javed Akhtar, Salim Khan delivered numerous hits in the 70s.

No comments: