Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Did Rakesh Roshan Lie On Krrish-3 Box Office Collections?

By Azeem Mallik | INN Live

BOLLYWOOD EXCLUSIVE Not so long ago, post the release of Krrish 3, Rakesh Roshan went about town declaring that the film has grossed Rs. 500 crores. Within a week of his declaration, there were reports that a section of trade analysts as well as some industry insiders are questioning the authenticity of Rakesh's given numbers, alleging that those numbers were inflated. Reacting to claims that Krrish 3 (an average film) wouldn't have grossed Rs. 500 crores, an aggressive Rakesh Roshan said in his interviews that it has indeed crossed the 500 crores mark! 

But now, Hrithik has issued a press release that has been published by a website which details that the domestic as well as international Box Office Collections of Krrish 3 have been Rs. 244 cr and Rs. 55 cr respectively, totalling to a mere Rs. 299 cr! This has created ripples in the industry with insiders asking, "Did Rakesh Roshan lie about Krrish 3 Box Office collections"?
In his statement, Hrithik says, "Some people from the industry and certain sections of the media are hellbent on putting me, my father and Krrish 3 down. I have maintained my silence until now, but these derogatory manipulations need to stop. Krrish 3 has done a business of about Rs. 244 crore (India) and around Rs. 55 crore overseas. I wonder who these people are who have been so affected by these numbers and my success. 

Are they the ones I call my friends I wonder? I would like to tell them that they need not ever be insecure about another man’s success cause all they need to do is concentrate on their own hard work which in turn will help them achieve what they want. Believe in karma. As my father and I do. And one last thing about my father and me as a team: We’ve only just begun!" 

Industry insiders are also wondering why did Rakesh Roshan need to give out such an exaggerated number? Was this because Chennai Express had broken multiple Box Office records and had already crossed Rs. 230 crores? Or was it because Dhoom 3 was touted to be the biggest blockbuster by many much ahead of its release? The story doesn't end here. According to gossip, Hrithik had urged his father not to give out an inflated number for the film for it can backfire. 

But apparently, Rakesh Roshan did not agree to Hrithik's suggestion and went ahead to announce that Krrish 3 has indeed earned Rs. 500 crores. It is said that this is also one of the reasons why Hrithik was earlier said to contemplate a separation from not just Sussanne but even his father. Now, with Hrithik's official declaration of the exact number of the film, we wonder what will Rakesh Roshan say in his upcoming interviews. 

No comments: