Thursday, July 18, 2013

Ramadhan Iftar In Saudi Without 'Sobyah' Inconceivable

By Fauzia Arshi / Jeddah

Saudi Arabia's favourite 'Sobyah' is almost an exclusive Ramadan drink. No house in Jeddah or in Saudi Kingdom can be imagined without having sobyah at the table in Ramadan. It is a staple, like soup, sambusak, ground chickpeas and tamees (Afghan bread). 

Ali Sumairi, 29, a sobyah seller, works during the daytime at a cosmetics and perfumes business, but in Ramadan he sells sobyah after work “as an overtime and because it is a fixture of Ramadan.”
“When I was an 8-year-old boy I started selling the drink. I used to help my father. When I grew older, it became sort of a habit for me in Ramadan. I came to like it very much. That’s why every year I begin preparing and selling the drink because I want to save this family business from dying out,” he said.

“For us it is first and foremost a fixture of Ramadan. We enjoy selling it as much as we enjoy the historical and spiritual flavor of the holy month,” he said.

“My father used to sell the drink too. I used to accompany him and help him in his selling rounds. Mind you, the drink is sold around the year, but it becomes much more popular in Ramadan,” he explained.

“The drink has many health benefits. It helps reduce tension and is a source of relaxation. It also helps kidneys and the urinary tract, since it is a diuretic drink and helps quench thirst, especially in Ramadan, when the days are long,” he said.

He also said that there are many kinds of sobyah, but the most popular is white sobyah, because it is made of malt and appeals to older people. “In second place comes the red sobyah, which is popular among younger people because it contains more sugar, a coloring agent, malt and carnation,” he said.

When asked about the sale prices of the drink, he said: “It is generally cheap. One bag of sobyah usually sells for SR5 or SR10, depending on the size of the bag. On average I sell about 250 to 300 bags daily. I prepare the drink at home, and my family helps me in this. The preparation usually takes about two hours. We then put it in plastic drums together with ice cubes to keep it cold and fresh,” he said.

Sami Al-Harithy, who works for the Saudi Royal Air Force, said that he sees himself as a lover of sobyah. “Firstly, it is a Ramadan phenomenon. I used to love it when I was very young. I like it because of its delicious and distinctive taste. My family cannot imagine a meal without it. It is the best drink on the table in Ramadan,” he said.

“We buy four or five bags every day, and I drink two glasses at least to quench my thirst. We also drink it after sahoor meal prior to the dawn prayer,” he added.