Tuesday, April 16, 2013

'Casting Couch Does Exist': Actress Sana Khan Interview

The late Silk Smitha continues to be an inspirational figure for gifted actresses. First it was Vidya Balan, who reprised memorably the role of the disturbed, misunderstood actress, in the Bollywood biopic, 'The Dirty Picture', that Ekta Kapoor produced and Milan Luthria directed. Next, Veena Malik, the Pakistani singer/model-turned actress took up the story of the dubious diva of the 1980s and made it her own in the Kannada version of her life’s story, titled 'Silk Sakkath Hot Maga'.

The latest, though, to do so is Sana Khan, the starlet of 'Big Boss' fame, who will sizzle in the shoes of Silk Smitha in the upcoming Tamil film, 'Nadigayin Diary'.

Sana Khan has come a long way from the time she attracted attention for reasons other than her film acting talent. There was the controversial Amul Macho ad, making one wonder whether ad film makers regarded ‘creative’ and ‘risque’ to be synonymous.


Then she was wrongly accused of being part of a prostitution racket: it was actually a namesake who was. Then came the reality show, 'Big Boss 6', in which she emerged victorious. Now, she has bagged the coveted role of heroine opposite Salman Khan in Mental.

A staunch Muslim who prays five times a day despite her busy schedule, Sana graciously made time for DC for an exclusive. The conversation covered how she handles the rumour mill, the casting couch, her accomplishments and controversies, the impact that the 'Big Boss' win had on her career and playing Silk Smitha.


Casting couch exists:
Of course it does! I am part of the film industry and it is so prominent. If people claim otherwise, then they are ‘liars’. But by God’s grace, I have never experienced such a thing. I don’t believe in getting projects by indulging in the casting couch.


On reprising Silk Smitha:
It feels great as it was a big opportunity to play the role of the brave Silk Smitha, who was no nondescript item girl. She can never be replaced by anyone even in the next 100 years. Many people wanted to act as Silk Smitha when the Hindi biopic was released. When my producer wanted to make it in Malayalam (Climax) and Tamil (Nadigayin Diary), he auditioned many actresses. He saw my Tamil film, Silambattam, and zeroed down on me finally.

Holding an edge over the other two biopics:
It is always a topic of argument! All I wanted to say is that this is not a remake of The Dirty Picture. The script has been written by Eastman Antony, who first introduced Silk Smitha in Malayalam, and hence, is closer to her life.

Moreover, Silk’s on-screen life is a known secret on which my director, Anil, is not focusing. Our film is more of her unknown emotional side. I am confident of it being a huge hit in Tamil as well (which is handled by director Adhiram). Though I did take a few photographic references of Silk, by and large, I just faithfully followed what my director said.

Big Boss Factor:

The channel approached my manager, Senthil, after one of my songs from 'Silambattam' became a huge hit in Mumbai. I was the only unknown face who contested in the sixth season of the 'Big Boss' reality show. I didn’t have any friends there. I wanted to be spontaneous and went into the house without any preparation. I stayed till the end and Insha Allah I would call it a ‘miracle’ when I came third in the show.

On Real Big Boss (Salman Khan):

(Shrugs). The way the 'Big Boss' treated me throughout, My God, “I was like a rainbow in that house.” One day, before the final episode, Salman came up to me and said that he was casting me in his next flick. For a moment, I didn’t know what was happening and I jumped out of my chair in happiness. That was the biggest day in my life.

Favourite south food:
I love idlis, medhu vadai and dosa with sambar. I also enjoy paal payasam.

Biggest Strength:

My self-confidence and fearless attitude.

Handling rumours and controversies:
I know they are part and parcel of my career. I don’t normally react to gossip. I leave them to die a natural death. But if it crosses a limit, like when a section of the media reported that I was arrested along with a few other small-time models for prostitution charges by the Bengaluru police, I couldn’t control myself and was forced to react. Actually, it was a girl who happened to have my name and tarnishing my image by writing false reports without doing any homework was unpardonable.

When I did the Amul Macho ad, a TV commercial for a men’s innerwear brand, I didn’t realise that it would create such havoc. But having done it, I thought I should take the criticism in my stride. After all, at the end of the day, the ad was a huge hit. Today, I am considered a top model and a hot shot, along with the biggies, including SRK, Salman, Yuvaraj, Dhoni and Akshay.

Not a nightlife person:
I prefer to stay in a calm, quiet place rather than noisy pubs. I am not a party animal.

Teddy’s nose:

If I was given a boon to replace one of my features, I would prefer to change my nose. It looks like a teddy’s nose. (Laughs).

On her future life partner:  
Presently single and not ready to mingle right now. It’s only ‘work’ that attracts me!

No comments: