Sunday, February 24, 2013

'Salman Doesn’t Mind Me Working With Other Actors': Katrina

When you have Salman Khan for a boyfriend, it’s no surprise if you make newspaper headlines regularly. But Katrina Kaif has broken out of the girlfriend mould and managed to carve her own distinct identity with an incredible six hit films in two years. “I think my hard work over the last four years has paid off,” she smiles proudly.

While trade pundits call her a ‘lucky charm’, she objects to the tag. “It’s unfair. I don’t understand what people mean by luck. A film does well when it has a good script and good performances,” Kaif reasons.

With her next, Subhash Ghai’s Yuvvraaj2, where she’s paired with her real-life lover, Kaif is confident about her good run at the box office continuing. “I play a cello player. Like all musicians, she turns to music during tough times.” Kaif, who played the piano as a child, was keen to learn a new instrument. “I was asked by Mr Ghai to learn to play the cello, just like I would learn a dance movement. I just followed instructions and was playing it even before the shoot began,” she shows off her soft smile again.

Kaif is known for subtlety but Yuvvraaj2 has the demure actress looking gorgeous. “The clothes have to be relevant to the story. In Austria, cellists dress in regal, classic gowns. Rocky S sourced a lot of my outfits from small Austrian boutiques and from designers like Gauri and Nainika Karan.”

This film is extra special to her because it’s her fifth with Salman Khan but the first where she’s paired opposite him. “I hope its third time lucky for us,” she remarks casually. Kaif also admits she was anxious that their off-screen chemistry might make their on-screen pairing slightly uncomfortable.

“Sometimes when you know the person well, you tend to go overboard. But I was relieved to see the promos,” she says. The Britain-born actress is also seen speaking fluent Hindi in the promos. “But I can’t help the accent,” she complains. In an effort to blend into India, she’s also taken to the music of AR Rehman. “When I first came here, I found it difficult to understand his style. But it slowly grows on you. It’s timeless,” she says.

Kaif is modest enough to acknowledge good friend Akshay Kumar’s role in shaping her career. “Akshay has helped me a lot. I’m looking forward to our next flick” she says, and adds quickly, “And no, Salman doesn’t have a problem with me working with other actors.”

While directors like Imtiaz Ali and Raju Hirani are on her wish list, she’s happy to have bagged roles in Prakash Jha’s unnamed political potboiler, Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani sequel with Ranbir Kapoor and a Yashraj film. “I’ve done a variety of films to establish myself. But now, I want to play stronger characters. Katrina in 2013 is going to be different from Katrina in 2012,” she insists. We’re still not tired of the old Kat.

No comments: