Sunday, January 11, 2015

Bored Of 'Baingan Ka Bharta'? Try 'Baingan Da Patiala'

When I was a kid, I remember a cartoon show of vegetables in which baingan was the king. I asked my mom why baingan was the king. She told me because it is packed with nutrition. I can add one more reason now – it is the most versatile vegetable. Not just in Indian cuisine but in many cuisines that I have come across, eggplant or baingan is a celebrated vegetable.

I first had Baingan Patiala at a local restaurant in Udaipur and immediately fell in love with the preparation. Till then my usual eggplant dish was Baingan Bharta or stuffed baingan but never a stir fried dish. After the meal, I actually pestered the chef to give me the recipe and now it’s a frequent accompaniment on our dinner menu.

Baingan Patiala (Stir fried eggplant)
Preparation Time: 10 mins| Cooking Time: 20 mins| Serves 2

Ingredients
5-6 thin and long purple eggplants, cut into 8 pieces each
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 onion, julienned
1 green chilli, chopped
2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
A pinch of asafoetida
1 tsp nigella (kalongi) seeds
1 tsp coriander powder
½ tsp cumin powder
¼ tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp red chilli powder
½ tsp dry mango powder
¼ tsp garam masala
Oil

Method
* In a deep pan, stir fry eggplants till slightly brown, keep aside.
* In the same pan, (add more oil if required), add asafoetida and nigella seeds
* Add green chillis; onions and ginger-garlic paste. Saute until onions turn soft
* Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for a couple of minutes before adding all the spices (except garam masala)
* Cook on medium heat and keep stirring in between. Cook until the mixture is dry (about 5 minutes). It will start to give out oil from the sides.
* Add the stir-fried eggplants. Mix well and cook for another 5 minutes.
* Sprinkle garam masala on top
* Remove from heat and serve hot with rotis.

Food is never just food. I believe it’s story telling, it’s conversation. It brings people together and it speaks a universal language! I love to play around in my kitchen. The thrill of being able to create something new and sharing it with others is what fuels my passion for cooking.

No comments: